the same time Abraham Wagener was selling the north end of Lot 37 to Morris
F. Sheppard, he sold an additional 18 acres immediately to the south to
a wheelwright named Meredith Mallory. Mallory and his brothers had arrived
in the area not too long before, and Meredith, the oldest, was shown on
the 1800 census as being in the vicinity of what would be Penn Yan. There
is, however, no evidence that he ever lived on his purchase, or acquired
it for any other purpose than investment.
Mallory first came to Penn Yan with his brothers, they all plied the wheelwright's
trade. They had a shop in Penn Yan, but soon married, started families and
struck out on their own. Like everyone else at the time, they also had farms;
two of the brothers, including Meredith, bought adjacent farms in what is
now Torrey. The other emigrated to Canada.