F. Sheppard only held onto the other half of his land west of Main Street
for another year after he sold the northern half to Abner Pierce. In
1806 he sold all of the tract he owned south of Pierce's line to John O'Brien,
who built a house on it and built a picket fence around the house that was
remembered sixty years later by Oliver Prentiss, who as a boy had been thrown
against it by his horse.
sold the land his house stood on back to Sheppard in 1808, but continued
apparently to live in it, as he is shown in approximately the right place
on the census of 1810. This was the same year his son, also called John,
was born; the younger John is much less elusive a character than his father,
who died in 1832 and is buried in Lakeview Cemetery, but has no entry under
his own name on any other census after 1810. The younger John built and
lived in a beautiful Italianate house on Elm Street, which was torn down
in 199- to build a modern brick commercial building which has since been
torn down itself to furnish additional parking space for a bank.
sold the remainder of his land to Thomas Flynn, who evidently built a store
there, and then resold it in 1811 to Justus P. Spencer, a son of James Spencer
Sr. of Benton and husband of Ruth Pritchard, a woman very close to the Universal
Friend --the Society's Death Book is written in her hand -- who became the
village's first school teacher.