Dorman, the Pennsylvania physician whom David Wagener recruited to be the
first doctor in the new settlement, at one time owned at least five rather
large parcels of land in Penn Yan, not to mention at least two larger farms
outside the village limits. He actually built on several of these, and passed
a number of them on to his widow, children and grandchildren upon his death
in 1824. A couple, however, were apparently acquired for investment purposes,
or perhaps because they became available.
any case, there is no extant deed showing Dorman's purchase of this four-acre
parcel from Abraham Wagener (or anyone else). The earliest deed is the one
by which Dorman and his wife Sybil returned it to Wagener in 1807, for $90;
a price that indicates there were as yet no buildings on it.
of the lot was sold early to Robert Shearman; another to Israel Brown. Most
of it became in 1819 part of a 14-acre parcel that Wagener sold to Jonathan
Bordwell. It became the site of the first church in Penn Yan (at #s 305
and 307) and of one of the oldest remaining houses (#303).