chabod Andrews was born at Wallingford, Connecticut, the son of Laban Andrews and his wife Prudence Stanley. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and married Lola Tuttle at Wallingford in 1793. Soon afterward, like many young couples before them, they moved from New England into the Hudson valley of neighboring New York. They settled on the west bank of the river, near the mouth of Schoharie Creek in what is now Greene County, where they proceeded to raise a family of five sons and a daughter.
Also like a great many families, they were not done moving. Ichabod bought 200 acres in what is now the town of Reading in Schuyler County in 1812, on the same day the United States declared war on England. The following spring the family, comprising Ichabod and his wife, their five sons and a daughter, arrived on this property and settled. In a year or two Ichabod's brother Amherst Andrews also came to the same neighborhood, which was for many years called the Andrews Settlement.
Ichabod Andrews' son was the first John Tuttle Andrews (he was named for his maternal grandfather). He was born in 1803 when his parents still lived on Schoharie Creek, moved to Reading with his parents at the age of nine, taught school for a while and went into partnership with Hiram Chapman in a store at Watkins and Irelandville. The business failed, and Andrews was a heavy loser. He engaged in politics with more success, and was elected to Justice of the Peace, Sheriff and member of Congress.
He married his cousin Ann Eliza Andrews in 1832, and went to Dundee a few years later, in the 1840s. In 1866 he went into business again, retired in 1877, and died in 1894 at the age of 91. The couple had one child, a son who died in infancy. He, like his parents, is buried in Hillside Cemetery in Dundee. Ichabod (1757-1840) was a Revolutionary veteran; his wife Lola Tuttle was much younger, having been born in 1771. She died in 1844.
Another of Ichabod and Lola's sons is buried in the same plot. This is Edwin C. Andrews (1807-1885). His wife was Rosetta, daughter of Elisha Ward (1818-1852). They named their elder son after his uncle John, and he was always known as John T. Andrews 2nd.
Edwin C. Andrews stayed on his father's Reading homestead, and John was born there in 1842. He received a good education, attending both Dundee and Watkins Academies, and taking a preparatory course at Alfred University. In 1863 he entered the junior class at Union College and graduated in 1864.
At the age of 22 he enlisted in the 179th New York Infantry and by the time the war ended had risen to the rank of captain. He spent three years in the mercantile business in Dundee, and beginning in 1868 he read law with B.W. Franklin of Penn Yan. He was admitted to the bar in 1870.
He married Arvilla, daughter of Ira Raplee of Penn Yan, and she bore him a son named after his father in 1875. The boy died in 1877, and the name was not reused until the 1911 birth of their grandson. Captain Andrews profession as a lawyer was always secondary to business, and before his death in 1914 he was one of the village's leading business men.
At the time Cleveland wrote in the late 1860s Andrews was in partnership with Perley P. Curtis (the furniture-maker Samuel F. Curtis' son) selling furniture. In 1873 he acquired an interest in the Milo Mill on the Outlet, and later on, still in partnership with Curtis he became much involved in the various milling industries along the stream, as they gradually converted to the manufacture of paper. He was one of the partners who eventually bought up most of the water rights along the Outlet, and he with his partners built the Penn Yan & New York Rail Road that connected Dresden and Penn Yan along the old canal towpath. He owned the old Wagener gristmill on the south end of the Main Street bridge when it burned in 1913.
He was also, like many lawyers before him, involved in politics. He was elected to the state Assembly in 1881, and appointed postmaster at Penn Yan (then still a much-sought-after political plum) in 1890.