he earliest recorded
deed for this property was in 1858, when the heirs of William
L. Way sold it to Franklin A. Risdon,
a blacksmith. It was originally part of the land William Babcock bought
from Morris F. Sheppard in 1814, and had been acquired by Way, presumably
as a rental property, as early as the 1830s.
Cleveland thought Risdon
built the place, and he may have done. However, a house was shown on the
site on the 1854 wall map of the village as a tenant house. J.W. Randall
is shown as the occupant in 1857.
At the time he bought
the lot in 1858 Risdon was already living there,
and his shop was in the shed to the rear. He sold it in 1862 to James S.
Powell, another blacksmith who was the son of John Powell, one of the settlement’s
earliest practitioners of this art. Powell sold the lot only two years later
to Michael Mahan, yet another blacksmith, whose name was about as often
spelled Meehan, so presumably that is how it was pronounced. The family
held onto the property until well into the 20th century; his
estate sold it to his daughter Julia in 1909, and she was still shown as
the occupant in a directory of 1946.
This was a very handy
venue for a man working for the carriage works on the corner, or for its
predecessors and rivals, as was true of many of the people in the neighborhood
once the factory was started in the 1820s.