large lot, with a frontage of 84 feet on Main Street, contained the home
of Sarah MacKellar, a native of Scotland, who sold the property to her son
James A. MacKellar in 1886.
For many years earlier
in the 19th century the lot was owned by Joseph Ketchum of Benton, and then
by his heirs. In 1855, for example, Charles Ketchum and his family lived
here, and were so shown on the census of that year. Ketchum was 42 years
old, a machinist, working at the carriage works just west of the intersection.
In 1855 he had a wife and son, and had lived there, so he told the census-taker,
for 40 years.
Sarah MacKellar acquired
the lot and house in 1868, and lived there the rest of her long life. The
present house was erected in 1925 by Parmele Johnson, who built a nearly
exact replica of a Federal-style house on the lot, with a few modern styistic
innovations, such as the three-fold window, the porticos and the slight
asymmetry of the facade.