1898 this lot was part of the one to the south. In that year Edward Berry
bought part of Jeptha Potter's huge lot and built the house that stands
In the hundred years
or so since it was built, the house has lost some of its ornamentation,
but its character with the unusual square tower persists.
The house originally
had balustrades above the east (front) porch and over the bay window above
it. The flat rooftop also had a matching balustrade, and the spaces between
the posts at the corners of the tower. The enclosed porch on the west side
is also a later addition.
As mentioned above,
the lot was sold to Berry by Jeptha A. Potter. Potter had a barn and some
sheds on this part of his lot, and he reserved the right to remove these,
along with the foundations under them, which was perhaps unusual. He also
retained the right to all the manure on the lot, so apparently he used it
The Berrys lived in
the house until the 1920s, when Edward Berry's widow Lena sold it to Jerome
D. Rogers and his wife. Rogers was a partner in the Roenke & Rogers
department store downtown on the east side of Main Street.