house that once stood here was razed in 1961 to build the Emmanuel Baptist
Church. It was built in 1871 by John S. Sheppard (son of Charles C. and
grandson of the first Morris F.). It was a two-and-a-half story mansion
with a mansard roof, built on the spot where John O'Brien's house stood
60 years earlier.
O'Brien lost this part
of his property in 1817, when it passed through Morris Sheppard's hands
(again) and into those of Cornelius Masten, who had just arrived in the
village. The old house remained for some years, having served as Masten's
first home here. But on
the 1857 wall map of the village there is no dwelling shown on the lot.
It was by that time part of the very large lot on which #338 stood, owned
and occupied by Charles C. Sheppard.
C. C. Sheppard sold
this part of his property to his son in December 1876; long before this
the elder Sheppard had acquired most of the old Masten property. The deed
is worded so that a distance of 162 feet 6 inches is marked off along Main
Street south of the corner of the "stone house" property that
then belonged to Jeptha A. Potter. This was the street frontage of the lot
Charles C. Sheppard kept for himself. The lot he sold to his son (for a
consideration of $6300, a huge sum for the time, but of course it already
had this house on it) had a further frontage of 102 feet.
The younger Sheppard
lived in his new house until 1888, when he sold it to John T. Andrews. The
latter moved further downstreet in 1896, and this house was occupied by
tenants until it was sold in 1909 to Nelson A. Damoth, whose family owned
it until it was razed a half-century later.