1896 this lot was part of the one next door to the north, on which stands
the Scott house. It is No. 5 in the VanPelt subdivision, and was sold by
Mrs. Scott and her daughter to G. Fred Wagener in that year.
Wagener at once built
this house, which as far as is known was the first one built here. His son
H. Allen Wagener inherited it , and then sold it in 1911 to George H. Fredericks.
Claude Birkett and his wife Pauline bought it in 1915.
The house is of course
much larger than the Scott house, and it similarly dwarfed the Ferenbaugh
house next door. It was built in a late Queen Anne style, with its asymmetrical
massing, fine front porch with a swag detail in the railing, panelled chimney
and multiple pediments and porches. It anticipates the early 20th-century
Georgian Revival and Classical Revival in some details, particularly the
lack of surface decoration, the Doric columns on the front porch, the grouped
windows and the beautiful interior woodwork.