The really interesting thing about this house is that it's an exact copy of #208, a rather elaborate Italianate style for 1868, when both houses were built. The ornate east porticos, the elegant scrollwork in the entablatures (the cornice over the arch, supported by slim double columns), and the rope moldings, all echoed in the hoods over the windows.
The house was built on property, disputed for some years, that had once belonged to Cornelius Masten and then to William S. Briggs. The house itself was probably built by Charles C. Sheppard, and is shown in 1876 as belonging to his son Morris F. Sheppard. In any case, it was the elder Sheppard who sold it to Reuben Scofield in 1880, directly south of the lot then owned by Rhoda Leary, and north of the huge lot that had been Morris Brown's.
The lot had its origins in one of the subdivisions of the land Melatiah Lawrence bought in 1812. There were three such lots made from the original one; this one was in the middle, with James Grieve's store to the north and a much larger one to the south where Lawrence's house stood. William Shattuck, the enterprising lawyer, bought this lot from Lawrence in 1818, and from him went to Abraham P. Vosburgh, whose estate fell to Cornelius Masten, William S. Briggs and part of it then to Charles C. Sheppard. The lot is shown as vacant in 1857 and in 1865, which conforms to the evidence of the deeds.