house at all stood on this lot until 1921, when Jared Darrow built this
one in the comfortable and popular style called Craftsman or Bungalow. Its
footprint hasn't changed much since, though the front (west) side has been
altered. The enclosed door, bay window, pent roof above it and the front
steps are all younger than the house.
Darrow sold the property
to William N. Wise in 1927, and Wise deeded it over to Soldiers & Sailors
Memorial Hospital, who kept title until 1954.
Originally, the lot
was part of the land William Cornwell sold to John VanPelt Jr., and which
the latter was forced to sell to cover his debts. It was Lot 8 in the subdivision
of VanPelt's property, and was sold in 1834 to Samuel S. Ellsworth, along
with the next lot to the south, and the two behind them facing Jackson Street.
Ellsworth also owned the lot to the south, Lot 9 in the VanPelt subdivision,
and it was built on quite soon, or at least a foundation dug and a building
moved onto it. This lot eventually became part of the lot on which #325
stood, and it was only separated again when Darrow bought it. In 1927 he
sold his little house to James Leo Hoban and Doris his wife.