the old store then standing on the site of #330 was moved in 1857, the foundation
was built on this lot to receive it. It was probably built before 1820 by
James Grieve, but Henry Bradley literally put his name on it in 1823, and
that was how the building was remembered. It was J. Ford Morris who moved
the building here, and he is shown as the owner on the 1857 map of the village.
Soon afterward, Daniel
Lanning sold the lot to the Episcopal congregation so its priests could
use it as a rectory. In Cleveland's day William N. Wise owned the lot and
his son John J. Wise lived there. Wise, who eventually bought the lots next
door to the south after the Presbyterian church moved away to the south,
owned this lot as well, until his death. His widow Sophia sold this lot
to Anna B. Smith in 1894; she is shown as the owner on the 1896 map, though
this was the year she sold the property to Thomas Pierce and his wife.
The building probably
looked a great deal like the one that stands today on the old foundation,
a simple rectangle with a narrow gabled front. The modern house was built
in 1936 by Harry Putnam, in a style reminiscent of Greek Revival with token
Italianate trim and a portico over the entrance.
The lot is still 50
feet across, the exact width of the original lot in the John VanPelt Jr.
subdivision as it was sold to Samuel S. Ellsworth in 1834. There's no evidence
of any building on the lot until the old Bradley store was moved there from
across the street.