of this lot was sold by William Cornwell Jr. to the trustees of the Presbyterian
congregation in 1824. The rest of it, and the lot on which #305 now stands,
was where the residence of Robert Shearman stood in the early days of the
Shearman sold out to
the trustees of the Presbyterian congregation in 1824, and Cornwell added
a piece at the south end of his own property at the same time. The meeting-house
built on this lot was the first in Penn Yan, and stood here for more than
fifty years. It was enlarged in 1868 and when the old bell broke a new one
was added in 1870. This bell is the one that now hangs in the bell tower
of the present Presbyterian church, the only part of the old building that
After Charles D. Welles
bought the lot the old church stood on in 1883, he demolished the building
and built his own residence, which still stands at #305. He originally apparently
planned to build two houses on the land, but instead sold the northern part
of the lot back to the Cornwells. George R. Cornwell sold it to Sarah F.S.
Armstrong in 1905, and in 1909 she sold it to Herbert J. MacNaughton, who
then built this house.
It has the Victorian
era's surface decoration, but it's clearly a product of the new century.
Its dominant style is Colonial Revival, characterized by the simpler massing
and the Doric columns on the porch.