304 Main Street: The Calvin Russell house

 

aura Struble, widow of Hanford Struble, who owned the lot next door to the north after 1888, sold the southernmost 50 feet of it to Bettie Ogden in 1898. The lot was sold again in 1907 to Carrie H. Russell, the wife of millowner Calvin Russell. It stayed in the hands of the Russell family until 1946, when it was purchased by Lyman Smith; yet another of the numerous Main Street lawyers who became judges.

The style was one quite popular in the early 20th century, known by a number of names, but probably most commonly as Four-Square. The house also retains a few elements of the Queen Anne style, however, particularly the asymmetrical massing and the dominant roof. Most Four-Square roofs are shallower than this one. Actually, its style is quite similar to that of #308, built about the same time on another piece of the lot sold by Laura Struble. They are both transitional between the Victorian Queen Anne and the much simpler early-20th century styles, and neatly balance the Greek Revival Henry Welles house in between.

 

Plots


Above right: Built just before the turn of the 20th century in what became known as "Four-Square" style, this house was occupied for years by mill-owner Calvin Russell and his family. The solid cubical effect of the style is strengthened by the almost complete lack of ornamentation, but softened by the asymmetrical massing and the rather steep pitch of the roof, both more typical of the contemporary Queen Anne style.


People related to this lot and structure:

     Abraham Wagener
   
  Henry Welles
     The Russells and the Birketts

Related structures:
   
     304 Main Street

Related history:

     The turn of a new century