Wheeler house is certainly one of the best examples of high Queen Anne style
in Penn Yan, displaying all the earmarks of the style in original form,
a textbook case. The house was built by Wheeler in 1885 and he obviously
intended his house to be a showplace, and spent freely to make it one.
The lot it was built
on was purchased from Caroline Martin in 1868. Before that it was part of
the much larger lot that #303 stands on, and together with lots now facing
Linden Street, were the property of Israel Brown. The land Wheeler bought
went right through from Main to Jackson Street, where he built an elaborate
carriage house, now a separate residence, notable for the very early use
of stamped tin shingles as a building material.