thought it was Mary Boileau, who lived here in his day, who built this house.
Judging from the style, which is pretty clearly Greek Revival, it was built
earlier than 1840, which is when she bought the lot. The land was part of
that which Eliah Holcomb bought from Abraham Wagener.
Henry Wisner who owned
it in 1830 and sold it in that year to Samuel S. Ellsworth. Wisner retained
the privilege of moving a building off the lot, but what kind of building
it was is not mentioned. It may have been a store.
never lived here; but he held on to it six years before he sold it to Samuel
L. Bigelow, and doubled his purchase price of $325. Bigelow's name is more
closely associated with his milling interests on the Outlet, and later on
with Dundee. It was he who sold it to Mary (and again doubled his purchase
price), whose French surname was variously spelled even in legal documents.
On tax rolls she usually became "Mary Ballou," so perhaps that's
how the name was pronounced.
She lived in this house
for more than 50 years before selling it to Ann L. Denniston; the latter
was still living there in 1935, and it was owned by her estate in 1946.
In an era when people almost seemed to move into different houses as a form
of recreation, it's somewhat remarkable that this house belonged just to
two women during more than 100 years of its life. Both rented rooms to boarders,
and at one time William D. Squier lived here. He was married to a daughter
of William Cornwell and owned an interest in a dry-goods firm downtown called
Ayres & Squier.
I found no direct photographs
of the house, but parts of it do show at the side of some pictures of 227
Main Street, including one shown on the page for that lot. The house was
inhabited in 1961, as shown by a local directory, and stood on its lot until
razed in 1973, at the same time as the Wagner Hotel next door.