pretty definitively that the house that stood on this lot was built by Spencer
S. Raplee in about 1859, when he bought the vacant lot from the Ryerss estate
in Philadelphia. This account is to a certain extent borne out by the records;
and by the style of the house.
The lot was sold by
Abraham Wagener to John Buckbee, by him to his brother Samuel, and by Samuel
to Eliah Holcomb by 1828. Holcomb owned and resided on the vast lot across
Main Street where #227 stood later in the century. In 1830 Holcomb sold
a strip 18 and a half feet wide off the south end of this lot to Ebenezer
Brown, who owned the site of #218 adjacent on that side. Brown built a post
office on this strip, which Cleveland believed was the first erected as
a separate building in the village.
Rapalee acquired what
was left of the original four-rod lot in February, 1859 from Joseph W. Ryerss
of Philadelphia (a family who owned a lot of land in Milo, but never lived
here); and in April bought back the 18-foot-wide strip that had held the
The land passed out
of the Rapalee family's hands in 1883; it passed through several other owners
until in 1956 the adjacent Baptist church bought the house and it was razed
for extra parking space.