Wagener sold this lot in 1823 to a widow named Elizabeth Chapman; she of
course had a house built here. Cleveland thought the oldest part of the
house standing on this lot in his day was built by one of the Dormans. The
lot was purchased in 1839 by Olivia Lawrence, widow of Joel Dorman, and
it's possible she built a new house on the site, but Cleveland doesn't often
refer to a house built as late as that as the "old Dorman house."
It seems more likely that it was an old house, built by the original
owner, Elizabeth Chapman.
Olivia Dorman was a
sister of Mary Stoakes who owned the lot immediately to the north, though
Mary seems to have been dead before Olivia bought this property. On the
other hand, it was Olivia Dorman who actually created the lot as it is now,
since she bought part of it (44 feet wide) from William Griffin (her niece's
husband), and an additional 25 feet on the north side of this from her sister
Mrs. Chapman lost her
house and lot to Samuel S. Ellsworth, who had a mortgage on it which he
assigned to the lawyer Levi Lyman. Apparently Lyman lived here for a few
years. The land was involved in an exchange between Ellsworth and Mary Stoakes,
and it was her heirs who sold the southernmost 44 feet of it to one of their
number, Ann R. (Stoakes) Parrott in 1835. Ann (who was Mary Stoakes' daughter
by her first husband James) married William Griffin, and the couple sold
their part of the lot to her aunt Olivia Dorman four years later. At the
same time Olivia bought the other 25 feet from the rest of the Stoakes and
Miller heirs (her sister had remarried before she died, to Hendrick Miller).
The property was owned
by a succession of women, and after Mrs. Dorman's death it happened again:
her heirs sold it to Emma Lewis, who was the wife of Martin B. Lewis, brother
of Judge John L. Lewis who lived across the street in Andrew Oliver's old
house. They sold the place only three years later to Charles C. Miller,
who was the owner in Cleveland's day, more than 20 years later.
It changed hands a
number of times further until bought by William Delos Hollowell, of the
hardware firm of Armstrong & Hollowell, who owned the store on the south
corner of Main and Elm Streets.
Hollowell no doubt
purchased the lot for its location in a row of the best houses in Penn Yan,
with a park and the Court House across the street. He built a house that
could well be termed a mansion.
Hollowell filled his
Queen Anne confection with beautiful oak woodwork and built-in cupboards.
Like his partner James Armstrong he had an interest in a sash-and-blind
manufactory attached to a planing mill on the Outlet. If he used his own
stock in his house, which seems likely, it was evidently capable of turning
out some good high-style work.