all the 200 block on the east side belonged at one time or another to Samuel
S. Ellsworth, including this lot. It was sold to him as a single dwelling
lot by Jonathan Ellsworth, in 1823. At this time it's not known whether
the two men were related, but it certainly seems likely.
Samuel S. Ellsworth
sold the lot in 1837 to Alexander M. Boyd, who probably built the house
now on the lot, though it's fair to say it has been changed so radically
he no doubt would fail to recognize it. The house looked entirely different
from its appearance today, having a flattish roof and an octagonal cupola.
Boyd sold it to Charles
C. Miller, better known as the owner of the lot next door, in 1849, and
Miller sold it three years later to Abraham F. Hazen. Hazen kept it for
some time, later selling it to George McAllister. The last named sold it
to the Presbyterian congregation for use as a parsonage in 1866, and judging
by the present shape of the house it was they who had the renovations done
to bring it to its present massing and style, if not entirely its present
It's quite difficult
to say what the house looked before its Queen Anne ornamentation was removed
and the clapboard siding covered. The
portico on the west side is early 20th century.