it was moved around the corner to Chapel Street in 1872, the small two-room
office of the Doctors Oliver stood on this part of the larger lot that included
Dr. Andrew Oliver's house. In 1902 upon the death of the elder Dr. William
Oliver, this was a vacant lot. It was at this time that 204 Main Street
was either rebuilt or extensively remodeled; and sold out of the family.
In 1903 when the Sanborn Map of Penn Yan was published, no house stood here.
But in 1905 when the state census was taken (a census that gave street addresses),
a Dr. Charles Shumway is shown as a resident of this particular address
with his daughter and two sons.
A photograph said to
have been taken in 1908 (shown below) indicates the original form of the
structure, a very late example of Queen Anne architecture, asymmetrical,
with an octagonal tower and a deep gabled dormer in the very prominant roof.
The house had the very typical wrap-around porch as well. In fact the only
signs that this was actually an early-20th century house instead of a late
19th-century one is the double window in the dormer, and the almost total
lack of added ornamentation.
lot still belonged to the Olivers, however. Elizabeth Lynch with her sister
lived here for a long time and Carrie Oliver mentioned her with the bequest
of this house and lot in her 1942 will. However, Carrie anticipated this
in 1941 with a deed, and Miss Lynch owned the property until she sold it
to Allen Nash in 1961.