athan Lusk built this house in 1876, after Cleveland quit working on his Main Street notes, so it went unmentioned there. The lot was part of the Wood & Bruen carriage works lot until after the 1867 fire, and remained part of the Bordwell lot to the north until Ralph T. Wood divided it in 1876.
Wood sold the south half of his lot to Nathan Lusk in that year, and it was he who had this marvelous house built. It is, obviously, one of the more exuberant Victorian houses on Main Street, and one can't help wondering whether it was Lusk or his wife Sarah who was more responsible for its design.
It was Sarah Lusk who sold the house in 1894 to Elsie Doubleday, the wife of Dr. Charles E. Doubleday. This whole row of houses on Main Street was particularly popular with physicians and dentists, perhaps because they were big enough to provide room for a practice, or because they were handy for those who had offices downtown.